Saturday, March 12, 2005

"my candle burns at both ends

it will not last the night;
but ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
it gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay
Though I am reading the prose of Mr. Dodgeson at the moment, it's still chock full of poetry, and I think I'm more glad that I brought this book even than American Gods. The Gaiman is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I think everyone else here is getting more from that one than I am (maybe) whereas I'm getting more out of the Carroll.

If it weren't for that I'd have to rely on websites like the one above to get all my poetry, and it would certainly be the longest period in my life of without holding a book of poetry in my hands.

What an odd topic to write a whole post on. C'est la vie.

By the way, see if you can find some Miroslav Holub. He's a czech, so he's not exactly easy to find in translation, but he's not that difficult. All the same, he's a winner.

And that website I linked up there: that's got some links at the bottom worth a glance if you're bored or desperately in need of poetical advice. No one better to get advice on life from than from a lot of suicidal alcoholics, after all.

Last night was Frida night, and hot damn is that a winner of a flick. I'd say that I'm seeing more great films here by an order of magnitude than I do at home in the same period of time.

Movies I've seen in the last two months (in no particular order)

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle (twice)
Team America (twice)
Naqoyqatsi
Frida
The Aviator
Million Dollar Baby
Sideways

and I'm probably forgetting some. Plus I saw Dancer in the Dark, Eternal Sunshine, and Raging Bull in theaters here earlier in my stay. There aren't many places I know of where you can see Team America one night and Frida the next, both in theaters.

Curse or bless the czech republic; it's starting to snow.

MUSIC: rasputina: leech wife (in my head)

No comments: