Wednesday, September 29, 2004

the password is in

okay, so now I know the password for my laptop. I can get past the prompt for logging on to windows.

but that's it.

One time, I started it up not in safe mode and it actually fully started. Just once.

even then, however it does not connect to the internet. I can connect to other people's computers directly, which I've never been able to do before, but I cannot connect to the internet at large.

Imagine my surprise when I found that I could listen to Queen's greatest hits off of someone elses computer but couldn't check my e-mail.

So I'm back in the lab, having caught my pair of trams and ridden them illegally as I have yet to acquire a quarterly pass. You see, every international student here gets assigned a peer tutor to help them do things like that. My peer tutor has been terribly sick and, as far as I know, still isn't even in town. Of course I wasn't assigned a new peer tutor, I was just left on my own. So handy things like buying an alarm clock or getting a tram pass or registering for classes or LEARNING HOW TO ORDER FOOD have been neglected.

and now I sit here just hoping rather vainly, I think, that I'll get an e-mail from my advisors telling me which classes I'm registered for now. and, of course, which one's I've already missed this week.

No comments: