Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I'm not a very good blogger

And I know this. I have created a total, including this post, of two posts.

I know.


But here's my excuse. Ready? I killed my computer. Somehow I managed to make a perfectly healthy laptop decide that it wouldn't let anyone onto windows. It went from being my DVD player, stereo, and soon-to-be portal to the internet to being a big nightlight. So anything I post is posted on purchased time after a hike and rife with frustration.

Now that's not the kind of weblog (see, weblog, weBlog, Blog) I want to have, ladies and gentlemen. So I'll post once or twice more just to keep it slightly up to date, but don't expect this digital journal to properly bloom until I manage to get my laptop off the ground and onto the internet.

Saturday I moved into Vinarska, which is the actual residence hall for my stay here. The bus that brought us over stopped in the middle of a road, and the guy on the bus kicked us all off and left without a word. We finally figured out that we needed to go up a really steep hill with all our luggage, and I commented that we were the victims of a cruel Czechoslovak prank. Hah, hah, they said, very funny.

So we went into a building and waited in line to be checked in. When the first of our group got to the desk, which was after about 20 minutes, we were all told that we had to go to a different building to check in. So we all went to this different building and waited in line for a solid hour. It was only after we had been there for so long that we were told that we were again in the wrong place. Where was the right place, you ask? Why, the place we had gone to initially, of course.

So we all went back and waited in line for another 30 minutes or so. Most of us were then told that we were in the right place, most likely, but needed a yellow card to check in. And the yellow cards are distributed (you guessed it) back where we had just come from. So back we went, and another 40 minutes were lost in line. It took, all told, nearly four hours to get checked in.

I ended up rooming with Tom again, since I suppose we're more or less used to one another at this point. I won't say anything about the room as yet, because I do have pictures and they are worth a thousand words. Granted, I can't show them yet because of my computer ailments, but I will. I can't type all those thousands of words right now, anyway. I'm paying by the hour here.

Today is a holiday, which means almost nothing. It's the nameday of King Wenceslas (which is not his right name, but you know him, most likely, that way), so the czechs celebrate by being drowsy and not going to work. No parades or gifts or gatherings... just no work. So, it means I don't have class and I can relax all day, but I do that a lot anyway. It also means that I'll have a hell of a time buying something to eat. Bastards.

So I promise I'll be better about this whole blog thing. Hell, I'm already better about it, somewhat.

MUSIC: crooked fingers: a little bleeding

(the sing along part, mostly)

No comments: