Wednesday, September 14, 2005

"...well it's sticks and stones and broken homes...

...that taught us how to smile..."

Today marks the first anniversary of my arrival in Brno. I came in on a bus with a year's worth of luggage and no idea where I was going or what I was doing. The indian summer of the Czech Republic laughed at me as I hauled my sweaty ass all over town, dragging bulging duffle bags over cobblestones, aimlessly. When I found someone who spoke english I would ask where Masaryk was and they would either get confused or laugh.

But I got through that, and now it's been a year since I was that kid. I'm goutier.

People ask me if I had a good time in europe and I have to pause and give them a long, level look. I might glance down at the scar on my hand or look at my feet or just close my eyes for a second. "Good time?" I had a time. And I think it's safe to say I'm in a better place now than I was then. Not literally, Brno kicks the shit out of Cullowhee.

But when I arrived I'm not sure I felt confident in naming a friend I had in the world. Certainly if I defined friend pretty loosely, I could have come up with a few... but I'm past that now. I'm hardened from the battle that was Europe (for some reason, but it was a battle) and I feel almost frustratingly capable. And almost overwhelmingly loved.

Everyone, you know who you are. Thanks.

It's been a year.

"This is an adventure." -Steve Zissou

MUSIC: the bens: just pretend

No comments: